Sunday, January 8, 2012

No Trespassing!!


 From time to time you set out for a photo shoot just to get there and realize that it's not going to be quite as easy as you thought.  That happened to me as I set out to shoot our new Jeep down by the railroad tracks and an old barn.  Each morning while on my way to work I pass this old barn with graffiti all over it and think, "that would look cool in a picture".  Well...make it happen!  Make it happen I did.  However the plans changed slightly as I pulled into the driveway to find the road chained off and NO TRESPASSING posted everywhere.  I guess the Jeep wasn't gonna have it's day in the spotlight.  However, I was there, had my camera and two healthy legs.  I took full advantage of the dilapidated building and it's surroundings and began shooting.

 This barn was sweet.  Graffiti on one end, rusted metal siding on the other.  I was a little sketched out as I ventured inside to see what was up.  It ended up being vacant and empty, which was a relief! Kind of boring in there, but a huge relief.  While I was shooting the barn, two cars pulled into the driveway.  This is when I was trying to size them up to see if I could out run them.  As they got out of the car I then noticed they were dressed too nice to be the redneck owner of this old shanty and one of them had a giant camera around her neck.  She was there for the same reason I was.  Yet another relief!




While spending time wondering the property and madly snapping pictures, two trains passed by.  This was exciting, since I was standing about 10 feet from the track and my brand new Jeep was even closer.  We all made it out unscathed, again a huge relief!


 As I made my way back down the tracks towards the car I stumbled upon this little hut.  Now this was a photographers heaven.  Great on its own but brought to life with someone in it.  The only problem was, I was by myself.  Well...in order to test out the new site I better get a few "Senior Pics" of myself!!  I set up my tripod, adjusted my settings, and set up my new Nikon wireless remote control.  Here we go!!


 

 Oh boy, there it is.  The Money Shot!!  If that's not a runway worthy shot I don't know what is!  I felt a little awkward taking self portraits, but hey, someone's gotta do it!


Finally, I continued my hike back to the car but not without a few more pit stops.  The train trestle that I had to RUN across was pretty cool.  From different angles this thing was pretty sweet through the viewfinder.


 I loved these lines, and the moss jumps off of those old boards.

 These old bolts were cool.  I wanted to bring some home but didn't think that Union Pacific would be too thrilled!



 Well, there you have it.  Just a few hours out on the tracks, just me and my camera.  It was a nice little getaway.  Even though I sought out to get award winning pictures of the Jeep and didn't, I still felt successful. many times when you go out to shoot a certain subject, the best pictures you come home with are something totally different.  Keep an open mind, open eye and an open shutter!!

1 comment: